This is the "Welcome" page of the "Archives of Lake Forest Academy and Ferry Hall" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content

Archives of Lake Forest Academy and Ferry Hall  

Guide to the archives of Lake Forest Academy and Ferry Hall, Lake Forest, IL.
Last Updated: Oct 19, 2016 URL: Print Guide RSS Updates

Welcome Print Page

LFA Archives

The Lake Forest Academy Archives is the repository for the historically valuable institutional records of Lake Forest Academy and Ferry Hall.  Lake Forest Academy was chartered in 1857 as a secondary department for boys within Lind University (later renamed Lake Forest University).  Ferry Hall (a  secondary department for girls called a "young ladies' seminary") opened in 1869, and the two schools merged in 1974.  The LFA Archives holds records of both institutions dating back into the 19th century.   The records include yearbooks, photographs, correspondence, meeting minutes, school publications, student newspapers, scrapbooks, and artifacts such as trophies, textiles, and ephemera from school life.  The holdings document a wide range of subjects, from Board of Trustee decisions to student activities and school life.  The archives are available for the school community to use, and to outside researchers on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact the archivist directly for reference assistance, or to make an appointment to visit the archives.

Archives on Facebook


May Day 1954

May Day at Ferry Hall, 1954

make animated gifs like this at MakeaGif

1940s Art Class

make animated gifs like this at MakeaGif

Civil War Museum Loan!

Check out our Civil War materials related to Elmer Ellsworth on permanent loan at the Civil War Museum in Kenosha, Wisconsin!

Contact the Archivist

Profile Image
Mrs. Rita MacAyeal, Archivist/Research Libraran
Contact Info
Lake Forest Academy Library
1500 W. Kennedy Rd.
Lake Forest, IL 60045
Send Email

Loading  Loading...